Friday, February 21, 2014

Weathering the storm

Loyal readers know that there was a tornado that hit our house a little over a year ago.  I have to say that it was the single most terrifying event of my life.  I still can't stand to be in a thunderstorm.  I understand Pearl's desire to hide under the coffee table all scrunched up and hope it ends soon.

We had a bad storm last night.  And I was terrified, sick at my stomach and could hardly sit still and get anything done.

To make matters worse there were tornadoes associated with this event and since that was the case and since the safety of some of the viewers was more important than their coping strategies of distraction or denial, they muted the Olympics, put the visual in the upper right part of the screen and talked us through the entire 3 hours of this storm event.

I was home alone.

And really I just wanted to cry.  I kept thinking "if we get hit, I'm not going to go through the trauma of fixing this house again."  I'm not sure what I could have done about it but I would not have fixed it.  That ordeal may have been worse than the tornado.

Not really, but it WAS pretty bad.

In case you're wondering this is how Zora spent the storm.  It should have made me feel somewhat relieved to know she wasn't cowering under the furniture, but when the tornado hit last year, she was just happy that the other two cats had abandoned their food bowl so that she could eat them all.  I think she looked up once, the dork.



At any rate, I made some progress on my sock and I found something out:

Knitting monsters really does hurt my hands.  I don't know why.  It doesn't feel any different than, say, knitting a sock, while I'm doing it, but there's something about it and my right hand is really sore today.  I was working on double point needles with a fuzzy yarn (IF I can manage to finish this one it's going to be hilariously cute)...but ouchy on my hands today.  I'll have to leave off working on it until my hand feels better, which means, of course, that I likely won't be able to get through all of them before the end of the term.  We shall see.  It kind of makes me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment