Thursday, February 6, 2014

Sparkle Socks

Life is happy, especially when wearing sparkle socks.  See how happy those feet are!

Yarn:  Sparkle Gnome by Gnome Acres
Colorway: Under the Tree
Pattern:  Firefly in Knitter's Book of Socks

I really enjoyed working on this pattern and making these socks.  They were quick, fairly easy and super-rewarding.  The yarn is wonderfully soft and the sparkle...so pretty and just makes me happy thinking about it.

I was sad that I only had 40g left when I finished...I'd hoped since I made the socks a little shorter in the leg, I might have enough to make another pair, but alas...this yarn, too, will go to the scrap basket to be made in blankets (for which it will be ridiculously happy, trust me).

The pattern will show up better in a solid or semi-solid yarn, but it looks nice in a variegated yarn too, even one this variegated.  The color runs are usually around 1-2"...never more than 2", so there are only a few stitches in each color before shifting to the next.  Even so, beautiful pooling and swirls occur, making for a very lovely finished product.

The fit on this sock is a bit tight in the instep for me.  I lengthened the instep a little knowing that it was probably going to be too small, but it has to be eased over my heel...it's comfortable once on, so I'm not worried about it, but if I do this pattern again, I will make the heel flap a little longer to give me some extra stitches to pick up and that should make the gusset more comfortable for my high instep.  Otherwise, the pattern is perfect and looks and feels wonderful.

And because I can't get enough of these socks today...here is a close up so you can see how the little cables really do make one think of pretty packages under the Christmas tree.  (click on the photo for a better close-in view)
Oh, and yes, I started my Cookie A socks last night.  Photo to come when I'm far enough along to show off the pattern...it'll be worth the wait, trust me.  This yarn is gorgeous and the pattern...wow...

No comments:

Post a Comment