Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life

When I was in 5th grade, I was in a gifted and talented class.  We had previously met as a class as a special "pull out" class once a week or so.  But in 5th grade, they hired a teacher and we met every day.  I had to miss music class because music was an elective and GT was an elective, but my other classes were not.  I really missed being in a music class.

And I really really didn't like my GT teacher.  I don't remember her name, but in my memory, she was a tall big-boned but thin woman who was very old...or at least looked old.

She thought that we needed to do things like memorize crazy-long poems.  (as a class we revolted and refused to do this assignment).  The only other thing I remember actually DOING in that class was a research project and presentation.  I researched antique dolls, and my piano teacher at the time, Mrs. Sherman, let me borrow a bunch of hers to use during my presentation.

But there was one other thing I remembered about that class.  She made us start the day with the saying "today is the first day of the rest of your life."  I thought that was just about the stupidest thing I'd ever heard. I remember the first time she told it to us and I responded something to the effect that that was rather obvious.  The profundity was lost on me, but I think the teacher felt that if she kept making us say it that it would click one day and we'd be amazed at her insight and wisdom.

I have to say that I still don't really "get it."  Of course today's the first day of the rest of your life...and yesterday can't be done over again...and we need to live every day as if it's our last...and all that jazz...but in the end, if we don't plan on some sort of continuity and keep sticking to our plan, we're just hopefully thinking that we're getting on and happy with ourselves, but never accomplishing much.

The kinds of motivating cliches that I prefer really fit in with my crafting self...a stitch in time saves nine, you can't move a mountain in a day, every little bit counts, it all adds up in the end.  That sort of thing.

Keep trying...don't keep starting over!

Today's picture is of a knit-a-long I'm participating in.  It's a mystery, so we get new clues every week.  It's also inspired by Downton Abbey, a television series that I love.  They will be fingerless gloves and are knit in a color way called "Christmas at Downton."  They have a lace panel on them, and the yarn is more than scrumptious (Sportmate by Lorna's Laces).  And when I posted this picture on facebook, mom said, "I want some!"

No comments:

Post a Comment