Thursday, May 3, 2012

Knitting in my Dreams

Last night I dreamed of knitting. In my dream I had finished up my blue sweater (I'm so close...it's hard to be patient and not stay up all night cramping my hands to get it done) and then started sewing it together.  In my dream the sleeves just fit right in and everything was beautiful.  I started sewing it up with bright purple thread (the sweater is a medium blue).  I made a couple of short seams in the shoulder to secure the sleeves and then started stitching down the sides of the sleeves.  Then I stitched up one long side.

It was at that point that I realized that I should actually be using the yarn that I knitted with--or at least a color much closer to the yarn that I knitted with.

And I was devastated.

Here I had spent weeks, every evening for weeks, working on this beautiful sweater and I'd ruined it in the last minutes by sewing it together with awful colored thread!

I was relieved when I woke up and realized it was only a dream.  Think I'm feeling a tad anxious about seaming up my first sweater?  What if it doesn't fit?  What if, despite my best efforts, I didn't get proper gauge (I've probably measured about 100 times) and it's too small even though it shouldn't be?  What if it's not attractive on me?  What IF I messed up and can't even see it yet?

These are big deals.  There is a lot of money in that sweater...a lot of beautiful yarn...a lot of time.

I'd be so sad if I screw(ed) it up somehow.

SO, I must finish, and soon, before I start having conniptions!

Today's picture is of my weaving...this is actually the "secret project" (remember that one?) but you've seen this much of the warp already so I'm not divulging anything!  I like the view from above because it encompasses not just me next to my loom but me in my studio.  From inspiration, to storage, to me actually working.

No comments:

Post a Comment