Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Zooming along!

I have so many things to talk about today, but I'm trying to stay focused...I can, hopefully, have at least one thing in my life that is focused and it WILL be the blog!

I finished the wool hat last night.  I want to talk about it, but that will have to wait (even though it does fit into the zooming along title since I only started it on Saturday...3 days cast on to cast off...that's pretty fast!)

But, what I want to talk about instead is the Zoom Loom.  It's a new product from Schacht Spindle Company that is a replacement for the Weave-It pin loom of many years back.  Weave-It went out of production and people were clamoring for something to fill its space.  In arrives the Zoom Loom.

You can make 4" squares using a variety of yarn weights and types. It's easy to start working on, very quick to learn, and pretty quick to finish.  I can make one square now in less than 15 minutes.  It's portable, which is GREAT for weaving, and, honestly, a little bit addictive.  I'm making loads of squares and trying to figure out what I'm going to do with all of them when I'm done (currently thinking blanket for the first project).  It's a great way to spend my lunch hour and a few little bits of time when I don't feel like knitting or sitting at the big loom at home.

It definitely takes me back to the days of the cotton loop loom I had that I made hundreds of potholders.  Those were so much fun.  I hope that Schacht decides to make more sizes of Zoom Looms.  It would be nice to have a few different sizes to work from.  I can envision some really interested pieced blankets with different sized squares.

And, for the record, I now have 8 squares made...in only 2 days of playing with the new loom. I should have a few more made today as it's really easy to take short breaks at work and do a few rows of weaving.  Be on the look out for finished projects with this awesome little crafty toy!


No comments:

Post a Comment