Monday, January 9, 2012

What Crafting Means to Me

This morning David sent me a link to an article about knitting in prisons.  They are teaching a group of prisoners to knit and in the meantime they are learning important life skills--like patience, anger management, goal setting, and creativity.  I like it.  I like that people see the life benefits of crafting.

I've been creating things ever since I can remember.  The thought of sitting with my hands in my lap and nothing else to do makes me feel rather crazy.  I can't imagine not having my crafting to do while watching tv, or on a Saturday afternoon.  It is an essential part of who I am.

I've never really thought of myself as an artist, per se, because I don't create designs, but I'm a darn good technician.  I've often dreamed of cross stitching or weaving for production.  Just tell me what you want, give me the yarn and pay me by the hour and I'd be a happy camper.  Except I've always had the dawning realization that people probably wouldn't want to pay that many hours for the final product...

Crafting for me, though, is a necessary outlet.  I love working cross stitch designs and thinking about the person I'm giving it to, or where it will hang in my house.  When I travel I buy yarn or needlepoint canvases so I can create it to make for my home and remember the trip.  I have a particularly lovely flower needlepoint that I bought in France, quilt made of fabric from all over the country, scarves from yarn bought in many diffferent places as well.  I love having those memories travel through my fingers as I work.  I love thinking about the person and putting positive loving energy into those items that they'll receive, and hopefully enjoy.  I also enjoy making something for myself because it feels special to spend time making "me" happy.

Today's photo from the studio is a houndstooth scarf I made for my hairdresser.  It's a nice traditional pattern, which I knew he'd love, with a twist since I used bright royal blue and purple (his colors).

No comments:

Post a Comment