Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Granny Squares

I love the homey feel of the name "Granny Square"...and I LOVE that you can pretty much not mess up on a granny square.  As long as you're consistent and keep making the appropriate increases, pretty much anything goes.

And in my new-found interest (love, passion, obsession?) with crochet, I've gone a little wacky making granny squares.

David calls it my gypsy blanket because I'm using up my random bits of sock yarn in addition to the mini skeins I've sort of become obsessed with (can one be sort of obsessed?) and just letting the yarn run out, tying on the new color and starting...so the rounds are getting muddled and I really like the effect.

This is one of the squares I finished yesterday.


From the center:  Spring Hill cashmere sock (she's quit dying yarn which made me extremely sad), Lorna's Laces DK weight in color ? and Lorna's Laces Solemate in color ?  And I RAN OUT of the outside color just as I was tying off...which doesn't happen often...

Anyway, it's been fun working on these and I'll continue to do so as long as I'm interested.  I do find that I LOVE crocheting with sock-weight yarn....just like I love knitting with it.

And speaking of...I haven't worked on a sock in over a month. I'm feeling the pull again, which is nice.

---------

Daddy's Story:  Daddy wore these "green jeans" around the house most of my life.  They were some awful polyester stretchy kind of pants that were apparently the most comfortable things he ever owned...and they grew and shrunk with him magically as he gained and lost weight.  I know I saw him in them for the better part of 20 years.  They got "lost" in the move when he and mom moved out of the farm-house and into town. I don't think he ever had the love of the knit sweat pants or pajama pants that mom bought for him to replace those green jeans.

2 comments:

  1. I love 'gypsy knitting' too!!!! (or maybe hippy-knitting….I think I had a poncho that looked seriously like that square in the 70s!!!)

    ReplyDelete