Friday, May 31, 2013

A Weekend Beckons

I'm happy about the upcoming weekend.  Happier than I've been about a weekend in a while.  I foresee some serious relaxation ahead...some quiet time to knit and weave.  I hope to get the last of my art hung on the walls (I don't know why this has taken me so long!).  I expect to have time to chill, enjoy sleeping in, and just being quiet for a while.

Coming back from vacation is hard...coming back to a couple of really busy work days and then having nothing to do for a couple of days is even more difficult.  That vacation mentality keeps whispering in my ear and saying "see you could have taken a few more days off..."

I have to slap that vacation mentality back.  Responsible people work.  I'm responsible.  Therefore, I must work.

_____

But since I'm at work and having to find things to occupy my time, let me talk about knitting socks.  I've become a little obsessed with knitting socks right now.  It's really all I want to do.  All those skinny sweaters I started?  I've balked because I'm worried that they're going to end up being too big.  I fret that I'm going to put all these weeks of work into them and then have to rip them back out because I didn't know what size I was going to be in the end, or what proportion (will I keep the boobs or lose them?  The jury is still out...)...so I'm avoiding working on them.  I probably need to just admit that I need to pull out what I've done so for (few have gotten more than a couple of inches knitted on them) and then put them in a bag with the pattern and wait for the goal weight to happen.  That's the sensible thing...and what I'm leaning towards.  And in the meantime, all I want to do is knit socks.

I indulged that need during vacation.  I finished the cabled socks that I love so much.  I'll put a pic of them up later.  But then I immediately started a pair from the Vesper Sock Yarn Club that I'm in...the colorway is called Spring Ahead!  They came in while I was living at the apartment and were the perfect color to cheer me up...to make me hopeful that things will indeed eventually clear up and work out.  That one day, I'll be back in my house, sitting in my living room, and thoroughly enjoying my house again.

So, I decided to knit them using a simple simple pattern that I've done before (all those gorgeous stripes do not need patterns trying to compete).  They have a garter stitch short row heel and toe and can be knit from the toe up or the top down.  I worked from the toe up on the first intending to go the other way on the second (but changed my mind because I wasn't sure that the stripes going reverse would really look that good next to each other), and when I got the heel completed, I slipped the sock on to check fit...and this is what I saw:

And I knew that this sock wasn't a crew length, but was an ankle sock.  The first sock was quickly finished off and the second cast on.  I've made three pairs of the Vesper socks now and each time I've made them almost identical without trying.  I find that to be quite interesting.  You really won't be able to tell on the second sock that it isn't exactly like the first unless you look really really closely at the toe or the cast off edge.  And I doubt many people will be doing that.

And I'm trying really hard to create non-identical hand-knit socks! ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment