Thursday, May 30, 2013


Hi all!  I'm back.  Sorry to have been gone for so long, but vacation was, well, vacation.  I unplugged, relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed not working.  Almost 2 weeks of that.

Then, of course, I returned to work and found things rather intense.  Stuff I thought was due next week, was actually needed that day.  My aunt had gotten very ill and was touch and go for a couple of days.  It was rather stressful, indeed.

And I find it really hard to deal with stress when I'm coming from a relative position of total stress-free.  I don't get "geared up" for it very easily.  I resist being stressed out.  I hate it.  I avoid it.  And yet, sometimes it rears its ugly head and I don't quite know how to handle it.  In this particular situation I just let it roll on past me.  I did what I could, worked hard, and managed to get everything done that I needed to do.  And so it goes.

But, back to vacation, which I know you're dying to know about.  Thursday was a day off to luxuriate and pack.  Friday we left for Lexington.  The drive seemed to take longer, though we didn't deal with any traffic...our stops were longer than anticipated and we got off to a late start.  Saturday we slept in a little and then went to the "Sheep and Fiber Festival."  Now, what I was expecting were sheep...and of course vendors to buy yummy yarns.  The vendors were there, but I did not see one single live sheep at all.  I was sorely disappointed.  The festival lasted for 2 days, but I was done in about 2 hours.  While I am terrifically glad that we went, I will need to tame my desire to attend these things to the "biggies" least if I'm going to travel that far.

SO, my desire to meet up with sheep, is, well, still a desire.

After the festival we had time to run out to Shaker Village for the afternoon where we looked at exhibits, walked around and enjoyed the beauty of the countryside.  It was a great day, beautiful weather and just all around relaxing and fun.  We came back into town and in our search for Outback found Chuy's so ate dinner there.  Yum.

On Sunday we slept in again, went to the local bookstore Joseph Beth, and went to our friend, Brent's wedding.  It was a beautiful ceremony, and the picture below is David and I all dolled up for the ceremony.  I think we're looking "real good"...don't you? (as of yesterday I'm down a total of 38.8 pounds and David 56...we feel amazing...simply amazing).  We then drove around and looked at our old houses.  That's always an interesting exercise.  That night we met some other friends from grad school for dinner at Bella Notte.  It's gotten better over the years.  Wonderful food and better company.

On Monday we drove up to Holmes County, OH, where we arrived at our hotel.  Our plan that day was to totally chill, which we did.  On Tuesday, we decided that the rock hard pillows at the hotel were not going to work for another 2 nights, so we drove into Canton and bought some pillows and I went to a yarn shop there because I could.  Then we went to Kidron where we shopped for furniture at Eastwood Furniture.  We bought a living room suit which will be hand crafted and delivered to us sometime in late July or August.  Then we tooled around some more driving around the countryside, and went back to the hotel in the afternoon to relax a little before dinner.  Wednesday was more of the same (without the big purchase).  

On Thursday we got up very early and drove home.  I don't want to talk about the drive because it was awfully stressful with terrible terrible traffic.  We made it home safely and I didn't completely lose my mind, so I guess in the end it was all ok. 

Then for the weekend (and it was a long one, thank goodness) I knitted.  I completed some beautiful socks (pictures later, I promise) and started another pair (almost finished with them).  All-in-all it was fabulous to just SIT and do nothing.  It was a great all-around vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment