Monday, March 26, 2012

Scrap Weaving

About 4 years ago I wrote a blog on scrap weaving.  You can link to it here if you're curious.

When I was seriously quilting, I did a lot of scrap quilting.  I read a book dealing with the issues many people have in scrap quilting and how to make choices so that your scraps ended up reading together rather than a jumbled mess of stuff.  Pattern size, color ranges, variations in light and dark are all very important decisions.  The eye wants to make sense of things, so if you use 30 different reds and partner them with 30 different whites, you'll SEE a red and white quilt, not a quilt using 60 different fabrics.

I employ the same theory in weaving by grabbing many different shades of a color and pair it against something that contrasts.  Yesterday I started on my bee/banana gifts and as I was winding my warp I said to myself, "I've made banana pudding."  I call that a success.  I love creating with color that way.  In fact, I was having so much fun that I just kept winding the warp until I was finished.  I have to work late today, but I'm so excited to see it in the loom I may just take some time and sley it just because I can't wait to see what it looks like all spread out.

Let's see...what picture to show today.  I can't show what I did this weekend, or what I worked on last night, or really much else that I'm working on currently.  And I haven't taken a picture of the lovely sweater that I'm knitting...so it'll have to be a historical picture.

How about me winning the quilt 3 years ago.  I love this quilt.  It hangs in my bedroom nestled up against a turquoise wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment