Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Misdirection and Hexagons

After I posted yesterday I attempted the laceweight yarn.  NO luck at all.  It was very stressful trying to work with it so I've decided it will become a lovely woven shawl.

Then I floundered for a bit and finally pulled out the yarn I used for the hat.  While I wasn't interested in doing another scarf after I'd put the other scarf away, a new scarf was a new pattern and might not be as miserable as the first (I really am a slow learner).  I tried one pattern, but the yarn was too bulky.  Tried another, but the yarn was too smooshy and didn't show any stitch definition.  Then I thought I'd just wing it for a bit...another mistake, so I pulled all the stitching out, put the yarn in the basket and settled in with my wonderful book (finished it this morning.  Thoroughly enjoyed "The Surrender of Miss Fairbourne by Madeline Hunter).

This morning I eyed my knitting bag and there were three projects that I hadn't worked on.  The first was the knitting I do in the car and when I want something to do with my hands but want my brain otherwise engaged and the second was the hexagon blanket.  I loved working on that blanket back a few weeks ago.  Almost thought I couldn't put it down, but I did so that I could finish Big Secret #2.  The third was my lovely purple socks which are a challenge that I am not feeling quite up to today...so, the project #2 won!

How I love this blanket.  The whole construction is interesting, the yarn is divine and the pattern is just difficult enough not to be boring while still easy enough that I can stop every now and then and talk to David.  I sit and do an entire "square" in one sitting, then go do something else.  I can't wait to snuggle under this with David this fall...
My picture today shows all the knitting I worked on while at the beach.  That top left hexagon is really the same color as the bottom right one, but shows up as yellow because of all the lovely tropical pastels in the condo.

I'm a little sad to be leaving.  We've had a perfectly relaxing and wonderful vacation, but it's time to go home and face the real world again, visit my parents (YEA!) and finish off spring break relaxing with my furniture and kitties...

No comments:

Post a Comment