Friday, March 21, 2014

Perfection

Every great now and then something turns out perfectly.  Not too often to make it something to "expect"...so when it happens the little glow of happiness is genuine and real.

I almost couldn't go to sleep last night for the excitement I felt at finishing my Hermione's Everyday Socks.  I mean, really...look at these socks.

They fit perfectly, they were perfectly knitted, (I think! ha!), they look perfect in their stripy pooling...everything about the sock is perfect.

And that's satisfying and happy and all things good.

The pattern is free on Ravelry and I highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking about making socks or who loves making socks already.  It's very simple, but there's elegance in the simplicity of the stitches.  Just about any yarn would look beautiful in this sock pattern because the patterning won't compete with highly variegated yarn (like the Hermione from Gnome Acres, as seen here), and solid yarns would show off the little purl bumps and accentuate the way they interact with each other.  I think that self-striping yarn would also show off well in this pattern because the purl bumps will add texture and occasional blending of colors without being overwhelming.  I plan to make a pair soon.

Hermione's Everyday Socks pattern is definitely going in my "favorites" binder.

(note:  While the pattern is written for one size only, it would be super-easy to simply add or subtract stitches in multiples of 4 to accommodate your size.)

No comments:

Post a Comment