Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Still Obsessing

I'm still obsessing about knitting dish cloths.  I've completely given in to the obsession and am not worrying about anything else.  If you're on my gift-giving list, expect a dish cloth or two (or three depending on how much I like you!)

This lovely little purple one was finished over the weekend.  Isn't it sweet?  The flowers are just perfect, AND it used up every single inch of the yarn.  I should have knitted an extra pair of garter rows at the top, but didn't have enough yarn.

Since I finished this one I made one in a stitch called "Bee Stitch" which I loved a lot.  Not only is it a really pretty stitch, but the way it looked with the speckled yarn is really cool.  Then I made one in purple and white stripes...this one is a mitered square.  I decided that while counting to the center stitch to decrease using the K3tog is possible when I cast on 31 stitches, it would be miserable when I cast on 80+ stitches, SO I cast on 40 or so stitches (I don't remember today), put a marker, cast on one more, then put another marker and cast on the equivalent to the first half.  Then I knit a garter stitch pair of rows and decreased on each side of the center stitch.  It worked perfectly.  I cast off when I had 5 stitches left.

I am now making one in purple again (for my hairdresser...he requested purple dish cloths).  The patter is called Crocus Buds and I'm doing something wrong, so I'm going to give it a few more rows during lunch today to see if I can get it right, and if not, I'll rip it out and start over with the next pattern in my booklet.

And you know what else is really cool and fun.  After I finish one in a color, I get to move on to another color.  This is so meeting all my knitting ADD needs these days!

2 comments:

  1. I love watching all the different stitches you are trying out with the dishcloths and the instant gratification it seems to giving you. Are you doing them all in cotton? Really lovely and are great gifts, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing all the dish cloths in cotton. I just got an order of Knit Picks's Dishie...LOVE that yarn. It may be my favorite of all the ones I've tried. Doing these "cloths" as blanket squares in a wonderful squishy wool or blend would be great, though. You could sample all the different stitches and have a big blanket (or baby blanket easily) in the end. Sew them all together, knit on a border and voila! But for now, it's cotton and experimentation for me!

    ReplyDelete