Monday, August 19, 2013

Entering the Surreal

This past week has been kind of surreal for me.  After a slight slow-down in the weight loss (slight because I was still losing, but only at the rate of 1-2 pounds per week rather than the 3-4 I was averaging before), things have picked up again.  I'm almost half way--expect to be past half-way in a week or so--and I'm beginning to be amazed at the transformation my body is undergoing.

Actually, I'm having a hard time SEEING the transformation my body is undergoing.

Each week David and I take pictures and hang them on the fridge.  He puts the current week next to the first week so we can see just how much we've changed.  I don't think we're recognizable as the same people.  While we are recognizable to people who knew us, I think is someone were to see the two pics side by side they wouldn't at first think we were the same, just 5 months and a lot of pounds different.

And looking across the dinner table at my skinnier husband is a bit strange.  It's like seeing someone different where someone familiar should be.  It's a little unnerving.

And I can't even begin to describe the feeling I have at looking at myself in the mirror.  So much of our mirror time is spent just getting things to be presentable so we can go to work or detect what problem we may have (eye lash in eye...hair sticking out in 100 directions, that sort of thing).  Very little of our mirror time is spent actually LOOKING at ourselves. (think about it and tell me if I'm wrong...maybe it's just me).

I don't avoid my image, and I have never had a bad self-image even when I was very overweight.  But right now, the person that I think I am and the person that I see when I look in the mirror are not the same and that's disturbing.

It takes me back many years when Oliver was around.  I cut my hair off--from elbow length to chin length.  He didn't recognize me and while he was never shy around strangers, he didn't seek them out for attention.  One day David said something that made me laugh as Oliver was trotting through the room.  He did an about face and came running up to me and meowed and greeted me like he hadn't seen me in a long long time.  He just needed the clue to remember that I was me and that he liked being around me.

I'm waiting for my "moment" of recognition.  As I continue to metamorphose, and watch my husband do the same, I'm not sure it's coming any time soon.

For now, know that I'm super excited to be wearing cute Aggie t-shirts!  I've always wanted to wear the feminine cuts but have never been able to get them on.  Now that I can, you can bet I'll be sporting something cute and Aggie related every Saturday until January!

Gig 'em! and Whoop!  I'm so proud of the progress and complete mind-shift that David and I have experienced.  I can't wait to see what the next 5 months bring and show you our skinny "at-goal" selves come the new year.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your great progress! I love how you and your husband are taking on the challenge together. Enjoy your Aggie wear. Oh, and quickly, I loved the colors and textures of your Noro squares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so happy this diet is working and that we're seeing such awesome progress and feeling so good. I love the Noro too. It's addicting, mainly because I want to see it finished. I can't wait to work on it each day and I'm disappointed if other projects, or time, or whatever gets in the way!

      Delete