Monday, January 23, 2012

Weaving Exercise

So, my "main" goal this year is to get in the habit of exercise.  I am supposed to wake up at 5am and exercise for at least 30 minutes before getting ready to go to work.  For those of you who know me well, you know that that is a HUGE task...I'm NOT a morning person AND I hate to exercise, so putting two things together that I really detest, well, it's a sure sign of failure.

So, I decided after I was able to get back into my studio that I was going to get up at 5 and exercise by weaving.  Weaving, while not sprinting, is pretty considerable exercise.  I have lots of tromping of treadles and throwing of shuttles and beating of beaters, and I get pretty sweaty and sometimes out of breath while I'm doing it, so yeah, I'd say it's some kind of exercise.  And it's fun...and I'll get up at 5, so if the goal is to get into the HABIT, why not start with someplace fun and engaging to me.

That's what I did this morning.  And what fun it was.  I was in a good mood when it was time to go shower AND I got a good bit of weaving done on my secret project.  Plus, I get to make progress and it makes me want to get back in there tonight to do some of the non-exercise-y type things so that when I'm finished with the weaving of one project the non-weaving part (threading the loom for instance) may go by more quickly so that I'll actually get some light cardio while I'm in there.


Today's picture is a close up of a scarf that I made for Alyssa that she found a little scratchy because the main color is wool.  It's a sock yarn that I'm currently knitting the remainder into an afghan square.  The color changes are very subtle but wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment